TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting/picture too large on sony rear color projection tv

My TV is a dinosaur, I realize that, but it's the only one that I have.  It's a Sony Color rear video projector model KP-53S70.  I've noticed that all of the pictures isn't fitting in the screen.  Words are only partially displayed on the sides.

I'm not sure if it's something that just happened or if it's been that way for a long time.  But, I've recently started watching more TV and shows on stations like ID Discovery will have names on the bottom left, but only part of them appear.

I've tried to find info in the manual and can't find anything.  I've gone through the menu and tried to figure it out (without messing up anything!) and I can't find anything that will let me change the size of the display.  There is a button with red on it that says "Position" but it has an arrow going to other buttons that say "Audio."  I'm hesitant to mess with that.

Can anyone tell me if there is a way I can adjust the screen and ow to do it?  It's not wide screen programs, it's regular programs such as The History Channel, ID Discovery, etc.

Thanks so much and I appreciate your time in reading this!

Your set, KP-53S70, is an older, all analog set with a screen aspect ratio of 4:3 whereas the new digital television systems in place are 16:9 or in practical viewing, the new digital format picture is more wide than the old tv picture frame.

But, some cable companies are sending old analog as well as digitally formatted pictures; some are sending only digital/ATSC formatted picture sizes. If your cable company supplies you with a converter box it may have a switch on it for converting the size; check with your cable company.

But, if the cable company cannot give you a picture sizing for your old tv then you are stuck with what you have.  HOWEVER: There are converter boxes that will do the conversion; such a box would fit between the cable companies feed line and the input to your tv.

A converter box like this one:

may be used to adjust the aspect ratio of the signal for best viewing on your set but you should check with your cable company who knows what they are sending you and if the above or another converter is compatible with their tv signal to your house.

Hope this is not too confusing;  but you are caught between old and new technology!

Wishing you the best.  

TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting

Consumer Electronics of all kinds. Audio, esoteric audio systems and components, video, tv. Digital equipment for consumer use. Ham radio and automotive electronics. Note: I give advice on tv repair based on general consumer electronics engineering experience but I am not engaged in actual repair of sets. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE THE MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER AND AGE OF THE SET. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR EMAIL FOR THE RETURN ANSWER DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS AS I TRY TO REPLY TO ALL QUESTIONS WITHIN THE SAME DAY IF NOT THE SAME HOUR.

Electrical Engineering; recording, broadcasting, design, international standards, tv and radio theory and practice.

FELLOW of AES (Audio Engineering Society)
Senior Life Member of IEEE (Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers)
International Consulting Organization

IEEE Spectrum
Various Consumer Electronic publications

Famous Engineer for Digital Audio