TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting/PVR MPEG-2 to 4 problem

Hello: I have a refurbished Motorola DCT3416-I PVR that is a couple of years old.I tried tuning into a station (Smithsonian channel) being offered by my cable provider on a trial basis,but could not get a picture,only sound.The other channels I watch work okay.The cable company tech support guy said the channel broadcast with MPEG-4 video,and I guess my PVR is only MPEG-2 capable.Is there some workaround to allow me to watch MPEG-4 channels,or am I going to have to buy a new PVR?  Thanks!

I think there are many software and/or hardware converters that could come to your rescue.

Here is an online realtime converter of interest:

If you google around you will find many conversion methods and products.

Good Luck.

TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting

Consumer Electronics of all kinds. Audio, esoteric audio systems and components, video, tv. Digital equipment for consumer use. Ham radio and automotive electronics. Note: I give advice on tv repair based on general consumer electronics engineering experience but I am not engaged in actual repair of sets. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE THE MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER AND AGE OF THE SET. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR EMAIL FOR THE RETURN ANSWER DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS AS I TRY TO REPLY TO ALL QUESTIONS WITHIN THE SAME DAY IF NOT THE SAME HOUR.

Electrical Engineering; recording, broadcasting, design, international standards, tv and radio theory and practice.

FELLOW of AES (Audio Engineering Society)
Senior Life Member of IEEE (Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers)
International Consulting Organization

IEEE Spectrum
Various Consumer Electronic publications

Famous Engineer for Digital Audio