TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting/Tv flashing on playing DVD

Question
Hi there, my sons 19" tv combi is fine watching tv, but when he puts his dvd's in the colours flash? its like a background flash...the characters still look recognisable/normal but the whole picture/screen is flashing. Not on and off flashing just a colour. On watching Tangled tonight it was flashing in a pink colour...the screen title, where you are asked to 'play movie' bit was in a dark green and black ! Its very weird...is it time for a new one I think ... hahaha
I dont know why its just playing dvd's cos the main tv programmes are fine
Thanks in advance

Answer
My guess is there is a compatibility with the country codes on the dvds and the country code the player is set to.  In the UK it is legal to have a dvd player which allows it to be switched from UK to USA or Germon code.  Some sets actually have a soft switch or hard switch to change the code operation.

And, if the dvds were purchased in another country they may be  strange code the player can't read correctly.

Look here for an explanation of the region/country codes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_region_code

This may help. If not, let me know more.

Cheers.  

TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting

cleggsan