TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting/Tv flashing on playing DVD

Hi there, my sons 19" tv combi is fine watching tv, but when he puts his dvd's in the colours flash? its like a background flash...the characters still look recognisable/normal but the whole picture/screen is flashing. Not on and off flashing just a colour. On watching Tangled tonight it was flashing in a pink colour...the screen title, where you are asked to 'play movie' bit was in a dark green and black ! Its very it time for a new one I think ... hahaha
I dont know why its just playing dvd's cos the main tv programmes are fine
Thanks in advance

My guess is there is a compatibility with the country codes on the dvds and the country code the player is set to.  In the UK it is legal to have a dvd player which allows it to be switched from UK to USA or Germon code.  Some sets actually have a soft switch or hard switch to change the code operation.

And, if the dvds were purchased in another country they may be  strange code the player can't read correctly.

Look here for an explanation of the region/country codes:

This may help. If not, let me know more.

TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting

Consumer Electronics of all kinds. Audio, esoteric audio systems and components, video, tv. Digital equipment for consumer use. Ham radio and automotive electronics. Note: I give advice on tv repair based on general consumer electronics engineering experience but I am not engaged in actual repair of sets. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE THE MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER AND AGE OF THE SET. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR EMAIL FOR THE RETURN ANSWER DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS AS I TRY TO REPLY TO ALL QUESTIONS WITHIN THE SAME DAY IF NOT THE SAME HOUR.

Electrical Engineering; recording, broadcasting, design, international standards, tv and radio theory and practice.

FELLOW of AES (Audio Engineering Society)
Senior Life Member of IEEE (Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers)
International Consulting Organization

IEEE Spectrum
Various Consumer Electronic publications

Famous Engineer for Digital Audio