TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting/Damaged USB port on TV

Question
QUESTION: Hi,

I have a Samsung 40" LCD TV, model # LN40D630M3FXZA  that I bought about 2-3 years ago.  It has 2 USB ports on it, one of which allows me to hook up an external hard drive and watch content from the drive.

The plastic tab inside the port that holds the pins in place broke off and came out with the cable once, and now the pins, while still in place, don't connect well to the cable anymore.  Just the weight of the cable is enough to break the connection.

Since I don't have cable, watching all my hard drive content is mostly what I use the TV for so if I can't fix this somehow it's a major problem.  I am good with fixing computers and things but I don't know how comfortable I'd be taking an LCD TV apart.  

What can I do? How hard a fix would this be, and how much would it cost to pay to have it repaired?  Anything you could tell me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

ANSWER: this should be a easy fix and not cost much. we will have to replace the main board in the tv. I need you to pull the back off the tv and send me a picture of the tv with the back off so I can see what boards are in the tv. send to

tvdoctor@comcast.net

QUESTION: Are you talking about really opening up the entire TV? I've taken apart a lot of things in my day but never an LCD TV. I don't want to do anything that could even slightly risk causing the TV to no longer work.

Replacing the port just involves a new port and a little soldering right?  I'm okay with that, but it's accessing the area that seems troublesome. Also, where do I get a new port from - what is the part called?

Lastly, how difficult would you say this all is to do?

Thanks so much

Answer
the usb port is part of the main. In order to do this we would have to take the back off the tv and remove the main board and install a new one no soldering just screws and wires with clips.
if this is not something you want to try then you will need a repairman and a repair cost will range around 150-180 for the repair. the board is around 80.00.

Allan

TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting

Allan Wainwright