TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting/Time to buy a new TV??

RE: Panasonic Color Television Model CT-20G24A
I have a Panasonic Color TV that I purchased in the early 1990's.
Picture quality and color rendition have been excellent.
A few months ago all of a sudden there was no picture - just a black screen but audio was fine. I vacuumed the TV exterior and after three days the picture suddenly returned.
All was normal until last week when the same thing happened. Again I vacuumed the exterior of the TV. However, the screen remained black.
I was going to go to Best Buy tomorrow to purchase a Samsung 30 inch flat screen TV. However, this evening out of the blue the picture returned and the TV is back to normal.
Am I correct in assuming that the picture tube is slowly dying or might something else be going on. Regardless it has been a great TV even if it time to buy a new one.
Many thanks for your input/expertise.

You are one of the lucky people of the world who has a tv set that lasts that long. You should be glad it is still alive. Probably, but just a guess, the high voltage is arcing over inside and the cleaning cleared up some of the high voltage leakage problems.

I wouldn't even give it one moment of thought:  The Panasonic has done its duty and needs a respectful burial.

Best wishes.  

TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting

Consumer Electronics of all kinds. Audio, esoteric audio systems and components, video, tv. Digital equipment for consumer use. Ham radio and automotive electronics. Note: I give advice on tv repair based on general consumer electronics engineering experience but I am not engaged in actual repair of sets. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE THE MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER AND AGE OF THE SET. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR EMAIL FOR THE RETURN ANSWER DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS AS I TRY TO REPLY TO ALL QUESTIONS WITHIN THE SAME DAY IF NOT THE SAME HOUR.

Electrical Engineering; recording, broadcasting, design, international standards, tv and radio theory and practice.

FELLOW of AES (Audio Engineering Society)
Senior Life Member of IEEE (Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers)
International Consulting Organization

IEEE Spectrum
Various Consumer Electronic publications

Famous Engineer for Digital Audio