TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting/TV/DVD/AV receiver connection

QUESTION: I have an Emerson 32in LCD LC320EM2, an RCA DVD player DRC245N, and a Pioneer A/V receiver VSX-451.I can access user manuals for the Emerson and RCA units, but not the Pioneer. I want to play the TV and the DVD audio thru the Pioneer but I don't know how to connect it. The input/output jacks on the Pioneer aren't designated in LED and DVD nomenclature. Can you tell me how to do this? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Phil

I can send more pics of connections on the TV and the DVD player if needed.

ANSWER: You can use the other inputs even though they are not named what you are looking for.  The back panel photo was too fuzzy to read for sure but it looks like there are three video in/out spigots.  Then you can use one and its audio inputs for the tv and one for the dvd player.  This model receiver is too old to support HDMI so those connections cannot be used.

You may have to experiment around until you get the right connections.

You are right, I could not find the VSX-451 manual online either. The Pioneer web site does not go back that far. I think this receiver is over 10 years of age. Most audio company keep support data only for 6 or 7 years at most.

Hope this helps.  Let me know if you need more.

QUESTION: I think the Pioneer is a 1992 model. I hate to admit it, but I need help on specifically what jacks should be connected with each unit for video and audio in/out. I tried to give a labeled pic but it wouldn't upload. See if this will help. The jacks on the back panel pic are, bottom row, from left to right, phono, CD, tape 1/DAT, tape 2 monitor, LD, VCR 1, and VCR 2.
The top 6 jacks are for video in/out.

Thank you so much for your time, Phil

You can use any of them except phono.  The phono has special equalization that is for magnetic phone cartridges used in turntables for playing lp discs.  All the others are the same electrically - only the labeling is added for the times in which the unit was manufactured.  We have newer technology nowdays!

Have fun.  

TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting

Consumer Electronics of all kinds. Audio, esoteric audio systems and components, video, tv. Digital equipment for consumer use. Ham radio and automotive electronics. Note: I give advice on tv repair based on general consumer electronics engineering experience but I am not engaged in actual repair of sets. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE THE MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER AND AGE OF THE SET. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR EMAIL FOR THE RETURN ANSWER DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS AS I TRY TO REPLY TO ALL QUESTIONS WITHIN THE SAME DAY IF NOT THE SAME HOUR.

Electrical Engineering; recording, broadcasting, design, international standards, tv and radio theory and practice.

FELLOW of AES (Audio Engineering Society)
Senior Life Member of IEEE (Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers)
International Consulting Organization

IEEE Spectrum
Various Consumer Electronic publications

Famous Engineer for Digital Audio