TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting/VCR fault

Question
I have an LG LV890 which will power up for 2 seconds then turns itself on. It will even load a tape. It has been unplugged for a while but before that was working perfectly.

Answer
Being unplugged for long period of time is not good and can give rise to leaky electrolytic capacitor in the power supply.  They are an inexpensive electronic part but are laborious to replace.  They usually require a technician to do the work or an experienced DIY person.

If the set is still under warranty you might want to have the manufacturers warranty station do the repair.  If out of warranty then you might need a shop to look at it and find the failing component.  Often, as with vcr and disc players the repair is not a wise investment considering the low cost of new replacement products.

You might also download the owners manual - if you don't have the original - and look through the trouble guide which is usually included at the end of the booklet.

Further, if you are in a humid environment it must be dried out before it will start up.  The rotary head when too damp from high humidity has a sensor that sends a signal to shut the machine off until humidity level is lowered adequately.

Hope this helps.  

TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting

cleggsan