TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting/picture board gets hot and goes off

current is in the tv but the picture board gets hot and goes off

Would you send the make/model number of the set?

If picture board is getting hot and everything else works normally then you should consider replacing the board.  You can find board replacements online for most sets but you may need to google around find them.

And, of course it may be something totally different. Can't guarantee it will be the board but I don't have any other suggestion with the scanty description you gave.

Hope this helps.

PS: If you are technically inclined you can try to determine which components on the board are causing the heat build up.  It may be a bad component or it maybe something else nearby that is sending too much current to the one that is getting hot.  Maybe you can figure it out with some troubleshooting logic.  There are online courses and tutorials that may be of help; just google for tv or lcd or plasma or what kind of set you have troubleshooting or how to repair.  

TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting

Consumer Electronics of all kinds. Audio, esoteric audio systems and components, video, tv. Digital equipment for consumer use. Ham radio and automotive electronics. Note: I give advice on tv repair based on general consumer electronics engineering experience but I am not engaged in actual repair of sets. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE THE MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER AND AGE OF THE SET. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR EMAIL FOR THE RETURN ANSWER DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS AS I TRY TO REPLY TO ALL QUESTIONS WITHIN THE SAME DAY IF NOT THE SAME HOUR.

Electrical Engineering; recording, broadcasting, design, international standards, tv and radio theory and practice.

FELLOW of AES (Audio Engineering Society)
Senior Life Member of IEEE (Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers)
International Consulting Organization

IEEE Spectrum
Various Consumer Electronic publications

Famous Engineer for Digital Audio