TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting/Coatings inside TV's that burn off

tv lines
tv lines  
I purchased a Vizio smart TV and was told they were coatind on the inside with something that burns off when started. Do you know what that might be? Also, My Magnavox is on the blink-see photos of lines. It is 18 months old-model 32 md 301b/f7

One: I don't know about the "burn off coating" that you speak of.  In the early days of Plasma screen technology there was a 'burn in' problem that left permanent images on the screen when a picture was left on for a long time - such as the background of video games.  But plasma screens are getting less common and those that are in the market place are improved with corrections made in the design of the display platform.

Two:  The problem with your Magnavox is a common one and involves repairs; in some units it is an extensive and expensive repair; in others it is a minor issue.  But, you must have an experienced tech look at it and do the tests to determine the issues your set is having.  There are many forums and Q/A discussions online for this issue; do some googles and see if you can find answers from other owners that fit your symptoms.  Also, call customer service about this as it is a big problem for them and they should be able to give  you some help.  In some cases manufacturers extend the warranty period but not until they get a sufficient number of complaints. I don't see one listed anywhere for this one so you might encourage customer support to offer it to you.

Hope this has helped.  

TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting

Consumer Electronics of all kinds. Audio, esoteric audio systems and components, video, tv. Digital equipment for consumer use. Ham radio and automotive electronics. Note: I give advice on tv repair based on general consumer electronics engineering experience but I am not engaged in actual repair of sets. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE THE MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER AND AGE OF THE SET. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR EMAIL FOR THE RETURN ANSWER DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS AS I TRY TO REPLY TO ALL QUESTIONS WITHIN THE SAME DAY IF NOT THE SAME HOUR.

Electrical Engineering; recording, broadcasting, design, international standards, tv and radio theory and practice.

FELLOW of AES (Audio Engineering Society)
Senior Life Member of IEEE (Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers)
International Consulting Organization

IEEE Spectrum
Various Consumer Electronic publications

Famous Engineer for Digital Audio