TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting/no volume on t.v.

Hello cleggsan,
I have a Sony Trinitron t.v. from 1994. This week, the t.v. started not producing a sound (picture normal) no matter what the volume is set at.  I made sure the volume is not muted.  When I played a DVD, the sound worked normal.  Is there anyway I can diagnose and try to solve this problem? Thank you. Glen

So, it is an old analog set. Therefore you are not using an antenna for reception unless you are passing the signal through a digital to analog converter box, right?  So the problem may be with the converter; try rebooting it.

If you are getting tv from a cable provider it may be a cable delivery problem.

If you need more, let me know the model number of your set and the method of receiving the signal into the tv.

Good Luck.  

TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting

Consumer Electronics of all kinds. Audio, esoteric audio systems and components, video, tv. Digital equipment for consumer use. Ham radio and automotive electronics. Note: I give advice on tv repair based on general consumer electronics engineering experience but I am not engaged in actual repair of sets. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE THE MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER AND AGE OF THE SET. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR EMAIL FOR THE RETURN ANSWER DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS AS I TRY TO REPLY TO ALL QUESTIONS WITHIN THE SAME DAY IF NOT THE SAME HOUR.

Electrical Engineering; recording, broadcasting, design, international standards, tv and radio theory and practice.

FELLOW of AES (Audio Engineering Society)
Senior Life Member of IEEE (Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers)
International Consulting Organization

IEEE Spectrum
Various Consumer Electronic publications

Famous Engineer for Digital Audio