TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting/Sony TV Problem

I have a Sony KDL40EX440.  I purchase it in Sept 2012 and I now have a strip running north and south on the screen. It is 5 to 6 inches wide and it is black, blue and sometimes various light colors. The TV is less than 2 years old and the one year Sony warrantee is gone.

What to do?  Can it be replaced or Junk the problem and never buy another Sony in my life?

Purchased from FRY's .... no help there.

Could be a bad connector to the display unit. See this Youtube:

Here is another approach. It is for an LG tv, but the principles of operation would apply to your Sony set as well.

and similarly:

And, in the worst case try the baseball bat; with the set running, gently tap along the top surface to see if the mechanical vibration will aright the bad connections to the lcd panel.

Best wishes.  If it is any consolation the prices have dropped dramatically on 40 inch or 42 inch flat screen tvs in the past couple of years.

Hope this helps.  

TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting

Consumer Electronics of all kinds. Audio, esoteric audio systems and components, video, tv. Digital equipment for consumer use. Ham radio and automotive electronics. Note: I give advice on tv repair based on general consumer electronics engineering experience but I am not engaged in actual repair of sets. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE THE MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER AND AGE OF THE SET. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR EMAIL FOR THE RETURN ANSWER DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS AS I TRY TO REPLY TO ALL QUESTIONS WITHIN THE SAME DAY IF NOT THE SAME HOUR.

Electrical Engineering; recording, broadcasting, design, international standards, tv and radio theory and practice.

FELLOW of AES (Audio Engineering Society)
Senior Life Member of IEEE (Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers)
International Consulting Organization

IEEE Spectrum
Various Consumer Electronic publications

Famous Engineer for Digital Audio