TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting/TV Reception

Question
I'm getting over-the-air broadcasts by way of a small, outdoor, omni-directional antenna. I've tried it with and without amplification, and I get more stations and stronger signals with amplification. The TV is an old analog model with an exterior converter box. Reception on a few of the stations that I like comes and goes. It can be decent one day and poor the next. Should I expect to see any improvement in reception if I replace the old TV with a new digital unit?  Thank you for your generous help.

Answer
In all probability a new tv set may help only marginally.  More likely the best solution, for reception (The image and picture quality will be much much better on a new flat screen display that can support the high resolution of digital tv standards such as 1080; your analog tv supports only 480 resolution) as a more substantial antenna or location will help give you a stable picture.  Their are many factors that effect the reception from an antenna such as its height, location relative to trees, buildings and other structures, design of the antenna elements, level of rf gain and so on.

If you go to the fcc.gov sight you can plug in your location and a few other factors to get their suggestion as to which level of tv design you will need for maximum performance reception.

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/antennas-and-digital-television

http://transition.fcc.gov/mb/engineering/dtvmaps/

Hope this gets you started for superior reception results.  

TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting

cleggsan