TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting/LG tv won't stay on

Question
QUESTION: I have a 48' LG tv. I have it with my stereo and dvd player etc. with surround sound. On the weekend had people over, we had the stereo on. They were messing with the stereo, but not sure why they were pushing the tv buttons.
Now I turn on the TV it only stays on for a minute or 2 then shuts off by its self????????
I tried to unplug it hoping it would reset. Didn't work.
Hopefully you can help.

ANSWER: Get the model number from the rear panel and google it for repair.

There are a few LG models that have power supply failures due to certain capacitors in the power supply ripple filter that fail prematurely.

If it is not being caused from bad capacitors you may need a new power supply board.  Again, you can google for a replacement.  ShopJimmy.com is a good place to look as well as eBay and other parts suppliers.

Let me know if you have further questions.

QUESTION: YOU ASKED THE MODEL LCD PROJECTION TV # RU-48SZ40.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP.
DO YOU KNOW IF THIS MODEL HAS TROULBLE (LIKE EXPLAIN ABOVE?)
THANKS AGAIN HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU SOON!!!

p.s. when i turn on my tv the light only comes on, it makes a sound then shuts off by it's self.

Answer
Check your owners manual, page 6, for light indicators relating to lamp and fan trouble.

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/93472/Lg-Ru-48sz40.html?page=6

The above points to look for lamp trouble. You could have bad lamp which needs replaced or the cooling fan is not working right. I suggest you first try reinstalling the lamp with care to see if it is not making good contact inside.

If lamp has not been replaced of late, it may be time to replace.  They are quite expensive, relatively, but you can find several sources online.  Be sure to get the exact replacement lamp as some equivalents do not work right and will fail or burnout prematurely.  I think you should expect to pay around $35 to $50 for a new lamp.

Hope this helps you get it going.  If you determine it is not the lamp or fan then it is more than likely the power board.

PS:  LG and Zenith are same model.  LG owns Zenith now days.  

TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting

cleggsan