TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting/Radio Repair

Question
Radio Front
Radio Front  

Radio Inside
Radio Inside  
Hi Tyrone & thank you for volunteering your time.  I have an antique-replica "Diamond K" radio. The power comes on, but there is only a very, very faint sound.  It really isn't worth much, but it's in good condition and was my great uncle's, so I wish I could get it working.  Someone told me it could be an amplifier issue?  I'm attaching a photo.  Please let me know your thoughts.  I'm not a repair person by any means, but I'm not afraid to take a shot at fixing it if given clear instruction.  I'd appreciate any help you can offer.

Many thanks,

Frank Saia

Answer
Hi Frank and thanks for choosing allexperts. I will be more than happy to assist you and btw thanks for the pictures. Ok you say there is a faint sound coming from the radio. Are you able to hear music of any kind through that faint sound? One simple thing to do is to make sure the speakers are functioning properly. I would first try a different speaker and if that does not help you will then have to go component level troubleshooting which requires a multi-meter for testing the parts on the board and a schematic. One other thing to do is to check for noticeable bad part in areas on the board that looks burned and/or for swollen capacitors they are the can shaped parts with the silver top that will look swollen on the top. These are just a couple of things to try first. Let me know if I can assist you further and again thanks for choosing allexperts we value our web community.

Your
Friendly Expert,
Tyrone

TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting

Tyrone Goldsberry