TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting/TV sound

I have a Sony Bravia KDL-46S3000. Im getting older and the voices are getting hard to pickup because of background music etc. A friend told me to set sound to clear voice. But when I went into settings all I could find was Treble= -3, Bass= +9, Balance= 0,Surround= S Force Front Surround, Sound Booster= off, and steady sound= on. Others said I need a Sound bar, and others say I need Home Theater with a A/V receiver (to balance out background). All I want is to here the dialog. What would you recommend.

This is a complicated matter because it depends on the hearing losses you are experiencing.  To know what your loss profile is you would need to go to a audiologist and be tested.

But, if I may take a guess, since you are complaining of music overpowering the voice it may be you have mid-frequency losses.  Or, on the equipment side you may not have a center channel speaker connected.

Here is what I would recommend:

1. If you have external speakers connected to the tv you should connect a center channel speaker which is for vocal reinforcement.

2.  Assuming you are using only the internal speakers of the  KDL-46S3000 then go into the menu and set the bass and treble (you have the bass at +9 which is not good for voice; lower it to -9) to lower levels which will reduce the level of the music sounds and increase the voice frequencies.  You should experiment with it for the best audible performance for your hearing.

You can try switching Sound Booster off and on to see if will improve the result.

I don't think, at this stage, adding a sound bar or external a/v receiver will help.

Give my suggestions a try and see how it goes.

Best wishes.  

TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting

Consumer Electronics of all kinds. Audio, esoteric audio systems and components, video, tv. Digital equipment for consumer use. Ham radio and automotive electronics. Note: I give advice on tv repair based on general consumer electronics engineering experience but I am not engaged in actual repair of sets. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE THE MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER AND AGE OF THE SET. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR EMAIL FOR THE RETURN ANSWER DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS AS I TRY TO REPLY TO ALL QUESTIONS WITHIN THE SAME DAY IF NOT THE SAME HOUR.

Electrical Engineering; recording, broadcasting, design, international standards, tv and radio theory and practice.

FELLOW of AES (Audio Engineering Society)
Senior Life Member of IEEE (Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers)
International Consulting Organization

IEEE Spectrum
Various Consumer Electronic publications

Famous Engineer for Digital Audio