TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting/tv won,t turn on

We have a 50 inch samsung plasma  .....  last night while hooking up the dvd to the digital box the tv shut off and all that happens now is when I turn the power on via the remote it will flash red on the indicator for power on the tv but not turn on showing a green light . It will flash red for a few seconds and then nothing . After a few seconds it will flash red again like its trying to power up then go dead again .

Well, first, try disconnecting the 'box' and try again. It is possible the connection has caused a default.

Let us make sure it is not an interconnection problem.  Disconnect everything from the tv so that the only thing connected to it is the power cord.  Make sure the power cord is unplugged from the wall outlet.  Let the tv set idle with nothing connected to it whatsoever for at least a full one hour.

Then, with the tv plugged in to the wall, turn it on and see if it will now come ON. Give it time to cycle through its turn-on startup.  If it comes on you can turn it off and try the box (cable? you didn't say) and see if it still turns on.  If so, you'll probably have to go through a channel setup procedure.

Now, the above is just a guess for your tv.  To give you more precise information I need to know the model number of the set and the 'digital box' you are connecting to.  Then let me know more from the suggestions above.  You can send me a follow up question if needed.  

TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting

Consumer Electronics of all kinds. Audio, esoteric audio systems and components, video, tv. Digital equipment for consumer use. Ham radio and automotive electronics. Note: I give advice on tv repair based on general consumer electronics engineering experience but I am not engaged in actual repair of sets. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE THE MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER AND AGE OF THE SET. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR EMAIL FOR THE RETURN ANSWER DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS AS I TRY TO REPLY TO ALL QUESTIONS WITHIN THE SAME DAY IF NOT THE SAME HOUR.

Electrical Engineering; recording, broadcasting, design, international standards, tv and radio theory and practice.

FELLOW of AES (Audio Engineering Society)
Senior Life Member of IEEE (Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers)
International Consulting Organization

IEEE Spectrum
Various Consumer Electronic publications

Famous Engineer for Digital Audio