TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting/loose connection

My HD TV is connected to the cable box with an HDMI cable. If the end of the cable going to the box is jiggled or moved, the connection is lost until the cable is moved again. Would the problem more likely be a bad HDMI cable or a bad box? Thanks

I suggest you change the cable.  If you are using one somewhere else in your system you can swap them and it will help pinpoint whether the cable is bad or not. If you don't have another HDMI cable you can get one from a retail store which will accept returns in the event it doesn't solve the problem.

It it turns out to be the tv you will probably need a tv expert who can replace the unit inside the tv. If the box is bad your cable company should replace it.

Finally, in a similar situation I have used tape to secure the cable in a routed position that keeps it from moving around and the signal remains stable.

Hope this helps.  

TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting

Consumer Electronics of all kinds. Audio, esoteric audio systems and components, video, tv. Digital equipment for consumer use. Ham radio and automotive electronics. Note: I give advice on tv repair based on general consumer electronics engineering experience but I am not engaged in actual repair of sets. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE THE MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER AND AGE OF THE SET. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR EMAIL FOR THE RETURN ANSWER DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS AS I TRY TO REPLY TO ALL QUESTIONS WITHIN THE SAME DAY IF NOT THE SAME HOUR.

Electrical Engineering; recording, broadcasting, design, international standards, tv and radio theory and practice.

FELLOW of AES (Audio Engineering Society)
Senior Life Member of IEEE (Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers)
International Consulting Organization

IEEE Spectrum
Various Consumer Electronic publications

Famous Engineer for Digital Audio