TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting/iPod blow a receiver?

Question
Hi, my apologies for not having the model of the RCA stereo receiver.  I inherited such recently, an older vintage model.  When someone tried to play their iPod through this receiver, it no longer has sound.  It powers on, but no volume.  I would have thought the stereo speakers or the iPod itself would blow before the receiver?

Answer
Without the model number I cannot look up its supporting documents to learn its technology and operational details.  But, older receivers are always suspicious because if they are not used on a regular basis they can develop internal problems.

The first to go are usually the electrolytic capacitors in the power supply. This failure requires replacement of one or two capacitors.  They are not expensive but take lots of labor to remove the old ones and solder in the new ones.

The second thing that goes are the power transistors in the output stage of the audio amplifier. they are mounted on a heatsink,usually, and electrically insulated via washers which are coated with heat grease.  This grease dries out and allows the transistors to overheat after which they go out from too high temperature.  They are expensive to replace and are hard to find the right replacement transistor due to the age of the unit.  Also, the labor to replace is 2 or 3 hours.

The last suggestion is to double check the settings to make sure you have the speaker wires connected to the proper terminals and the speaker setting on the front panel or in the menu (if there is one) is set for external speaker 1 or 2 depending on the connections available at the back of the unit.

So, maybe this will help or maybe it will confuse you even more.  Let me know the result after reading these comments and we can go another iteration.

Good Luck.  

TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting

cleggsan