TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting/Samsung plasma tv

My samsung plasma tv (model SPS4243X/XAA) comes on and then the picture goes black after about 30 seconds. What is wrong with this and how easy is it to fix? Sound is awesome still, but no picture.

Please take a few minutes to google this model with some words like "SPS4243X/XAA won't stay on" or similar phrases.  You will find others commenting about similar problems.

Also, there are many pages on the Internet that give ideas of fixing plasma tv sets.

Unfortunately, this particular problem is a little unique from others.  My first guess is the power supply voltage line that feeds the video section is bad and needs a replacement of one of the electrolytic capacitors (which may be shorting down as it charges up during turn on).  But that is not the only potential cause; next on my guess list would be the main video board.  Take a look at the shopjimmy board list below:

You will see some boards listed.  If you take the back cover off on your set and study the boards you should find one that looks like the ones shown on shopjimmy.  By checking the visual appearance and part numbers you may find a replacement worth trying.  The one board shown there is only about $15 or so; not a great investment to give it a try.  The main and video boards are much more expensive.

It could be the buffer board, also, which is a $25 cost. This board could work fine for a few seconds then the buffer memory fill up and stops the video from showing.  So it could be the cause of what is happening to your set.

Try another expert, too, as we all have different experience with plasma sets.

Hope this helps.  

TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting

Consumer Electronics of all kinds. Audio, esoteric audio systems and components, video, tv. Digital equipment for consumer use. Ham radio and automotive electronics. Note: I give advice on tv repair based on general consumer electronics engineering experience but I am not engaged in actual repair of sets. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE THE MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER AND AGE OF THE SET. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR EMAIL FOR THE RETURN ANSWER DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS AS I TRY TO REPLY TO ALL QUESTIONS WITHIN THE SAME DAY IF NOT THE SAME HOUR.

Electrical Engineering; recording, broadcasting, design, international standards, tv and radio theory and practice.

FELLOW of AES (Audio Engineering Society)
Senior Life Member of IEEE (Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers)
International Consulting Organization

IEEE Spectrum
Various Consumer Electronic publications

Famous Engineer for Digital Audio