TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting/Sony CCD-F201

Question
Unit powers up, but has picture roll in viewfinder in record mode before inserting a tape. When tape was loaded had issue with playback has white screen with small horizontal lines in viewfinder has motor boating in audio; sounds like not switching to correct speed for playback and can hear high pitch scream in headphones when monitoring. Can see playback picture but has also horizontal lines in viewfinder.

Answer
This is a very old model and support information, parts and service on it are all expired.

Further, it is tape based and difficult to service without the service manual.

It may be time to give up on it.

However, my first reaction upon reading the symptoms you presented in your question gave a flash thought about a week battery.  If the power supply (battery) is insufficient it could power up only partially leaving some circuits in deficiency and not working properly.

Have you tried other batteries or line cord power?  

My second thought was a failed main IC - which would require testing and troubleshooting by a technician.

Lastly, you might get lucky and find a Sony shop who is experienced in the older stuff and willing to take a look at it. The question then becomes if it worthy of an expensive repair.

You might also google further as sometimes a forum or message trail will give clues from others who have has similar problems to yours.

Wish I could give you more help. Let me know if you have further questions - or successes.  

TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting

cleggsan