TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting/audio output hook up

I have a 6 year old tv,Vizio model E470VA. It has a spdif optical output. I would like to hook up my 3.5mm headphones to use. Ihave researched for an answer but am not confident it will work with my tv. If you have a solution,it would be greatly appreciated.  Respectfully yours, nick

You must have a way of converting the digital optical output signal to analog power.  Therefore, you will need a converter box of some kind.

There are many such converters to be found on google; below is one example:

Hope this helps.

TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting

Consumer Electronics of all kinds. Audio, esoteric audio systems and components, video, tv. Digital equipment for consumer use. Ham radio and automotive electronics. Note: I give advice on tv repair based on general consumer electronics engineering experience but I am not engaged in actual repair of sets. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE THE MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER AND AGE OF THE SET. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR EMAIL FOR THE RETURN ANSWER DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS AS I TRY TO REPLY TO ALL QUESTIONS WITHIN THE SAME DAY IF NOT THE SAME HOUR.

Electrical Engineering; recording, broadcasting, design, international standards, tv and radio theory and practice.

FELLOW of AES (Audio Engineering Society)
Senior Life Member of IEEE (Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers)
International Consulting Organization

IEEE Spectrum
Various Consumer Electronic publications

Famous Engineer for Digital Audio