TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting/Clear Timer Recordings from VCR

Hi Cleggsan,

I have an older model RCA VCR, model no. VR647HF.  I had to purchase a new universal remote.  The CLEAR button does not clear timer recordings.  I located an online manual which says to use CLEAR button on remote.  I unplugged unit for approx. 1 hr. with no success.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

You should try a different code on the remote.  It should have a search mode; try that one as it may come up with a different code than the one you used.

Also, check the little manual that came with the remote to see if it lists more than one code for your manufacturer. If the remote is not an RCA it may not have the code that works fully with your player.

Finally, try other buttons on the remote for the CLEAR function.

And, just as an alternative, you can usually find good used vcrs at thrift stores for about the same price as a universal remote!  I see them all the time for $5 or $10 at Salvation Army and Goodwill stores.

Good Luck.  

TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting

Consumer Electronics of all kinds. Audio, esoteric audio systems and components, video, tv. Digital equipment for consumer use. Ham radio and automotive electronics. Note: I give advice on tv repair based on general consumer electronics engineering experience but I am not engaged in actual repair of sets. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE THE MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER AND AGE OF THE SET. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR EMAIL FOR THE RETURN ANSWER DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS AS I TRY TO REPLY TO ALL QUESTIONS WITHIN THE SAME DAY IF NOT THE SAME HOUR.

Electrical Engineering; recording, broadcasting, design, international standards, tv and radio theory and practice.

FELLOW of AES (Audio Engineering Society)
Senior Life Member of IEEE (Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers)
International Consulting Organization

IEEE Spectrum
Various Consumer Electronic publications

Famous Engineer for Digital Audio