TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting/IFS on a Sanyo DS27930

I purchased a Sanyo DS27930 from a thrift store a few weeks ago and I have found out that the IFS is broken. I don't have a remote, so I purchased a universal, which don't work. The television is stuck on "component 3" screen so when my u-verse is connected, the picture is a sickly grey color. How can I fix this problem?

ANSWER: I think you must have the correct remote to operate the set.  If your universal remote has the learning mode you should try another code that may be able to switch the input selector function.  That should solve the problem.

I don't know what the IFS. Please explain.

Hope this helps but let me know more if you need.

QUESTION: Thank you so much for your time and advice. I apologize for the confusion, I'm new go the terminology! I was calling ifs the little glass sensor on the front of the television that responds to the remote control. Infrared sensor or something. No universal remote works at all.

You can buy universal remote that works with your model Sanyo by googling for it.  Amazon, eBay, etc. lists them.

If the Infra-red receiver inside the tv is defective it must be repaired or replaced.  You cannot change selection of inputs without the remote function on this set.

If you have a Dollar Tree store nearby you might try there.  They sometimes carry a remote control that works with Sanyo televisions and it costs only a dollar. It has the learning mode and will find the right code for Sanyo sets.

Further, if you are getting some picture using the component inputs you may not be hooked up right; check the cables to make sure they are right; yellow to yellow, red to red, green to green, etc.  

TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting

Consumer Electronics of all kinds. Audio, esoteric audio systems and components, video, tv. Digital equipment for consumer use. Ham radio and automotive electronics. Note: I give advice on tv repair based on general consumer electronics engineering experience but I am not engaged in actual repair of sets. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE THE MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER AND AGE OF THE SET. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR EMAIL FOR THE RETURN ANSWER DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS AS I TRY TO REPLY TO ALL QUESTIONS WITHIN THE SAME DAY IF NOT THE SAME HOUR.

Electrical Engineering; recording, broadcasting, design, international standards, tv and radio theory and practice.

FELLOW of AES (Audio Engineering Society)
Senior Life Member of IEEE (Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers)
International Consulting Organization

IEEE Spectrum
Various Consumer Electronic publications

Famous Engineer for Digital Audio