TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting/Samsung smart tv, black screen, no picture

Question
Samsung Smart TV
Model code UN32F5500AFXZA
Purchased 2 years and 3 months ago, 12/10/13

TV has sound but no picture. A very dimly lit picture blinks in and out exactly every 7 seconds, then blinks back to black. Before it went out completely, it would occasionally blink off completely, and then come back on within 30 seconds.

When viewing the tv from the back there’s a faint light that blinks on when the picture blinks on showing through the vents, you can see the light through the vents. The light appears at the upper left and the upper right corners of the back of the tv vents. But back lights in general are not working.

There’s blue light activity at the bottom, showing through the vents.

Shortly before the picture issue occurred, there was a noticeable ‘distortion’ on the left side of the screen, and vertically right in the middle of the left side. And there was a slight burning smell.

Here’s a ‘version’ of what the distortion looked like, it looked generally like this from what I can remember.

http://i.imgur.com/UpT6Gza.png

This is the tv with the back panel removed:
http://i.imgur.com/Dyvg7l6.png

Everything else works - sound, able to change channels, just no picture or rather no picture that stays on the screen.

Approximately how much would it cost to repair this tv by a professional? Or is it possible to find a replacement part for the defective part and install myself?

Thank you

Answer
sounds like one of the led`s in the panel is bad. it is very common. if this is the case then it really cannot be repaired without taking the panel apart. this is a lot of work and will cost more than the tv is worth.

Allan

let  me know if you need more info?

TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting

Allan Wainwright