TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting/subwoofers


Mono out on denon
Mono out on denon  
My denon rcd-m33 has a mono output, the manual only mentions it once saying "MONO OUT terminal (SUB WOOFER)•Connector jack for subwoofer with built-in amplifier (super woofer), etc." I am wondering if I can connect a subwoofer to this and If I will get sound out of it no matter which setting I'm using like tape, aux or cd and if this would work would I use a powerless subwoofer or would I need to have an amp connected to the denon and then to a powerless subwoofer.

Yes, there is always audio signal out from that mono output. But, the electrical level is "low level" audio and is suitable to drive an amplifier but not a loudspeaker.

Therefore, if you connect a subwoofer you must either use a sub with internal amplifier built in or you can use an external amplifier with an added subwoofer as you have outlined in your comments.

Hope this helps.  

TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Consumer Electronics of all kinds. Audio, esoteric audio systems and components, video, tv. Digital equipment for consumer use. Ham radio and automotive electronics. Note: I give advice on tv repair based on general consumer electronics engineering experience but I am not engaged in actual repair of sets. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE THE MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER AND AGE OF THE SET. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR EMAIL FOR THE RETURN ANSWER DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS AS I TRY TO REPLY TO ALL QUESTIONS WITHIN THE SAME DAY IF NOT THE SAME HOUR.


Electrical Engineering; recording, broadcasting, design, international standards, tv and radio theory and practice.

FELLOW of AES (Audio Engineering Society)
Senior Life Member of IEEE (Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers)
International Consulting Organization

IEEE Spectrum
Various Consumer Electronic publications


Awards and Honors
Famous Engineer for Digital Audio

©2017 All rights reserved.