TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting/subwoofers

Question
Mono out on denon
Mono out on denon  
My denon rcd-m33 has a mono output, the manual only mentions it once saying "MONO OUT terminal (SUB WOOFER)•Connector jack for subwoofer with built-in amplifier (super woofer), etc." I am wondering if I can connect a subwoofer to this and If I will get sound out of it no matter which setting I'm using like tape, aux or cd and if this would work would I use a powerless subwoofer or would I need to have an amp connected to the denon and then to a powerless subwoofer.

Answer
Yes, there is always audio signal out from that mono output. But, the electrical level is "low level" audio and is suitable to drive an amplifier but not a loudspeaker.

Therefore, if you connect a subwoofer you must either use a sub with internal amplifier built in or you can use an external amplifier with an added subwoofer as you have outlined in your comments.

Hope this helps.  

TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting

cleggsan