TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting/emerson digital tv

I have an 8 yr old tv missing the remote I am trying to program channels for. When I go up and down the channel buttons on the front of it I get the ability to change the brightness, picture, and programming along with a couple of other things.  If I leave it on "program" it does nothing and pressing the up and down channel selector just goes to the other 4 choices.  My question is do I need the remote to program the channels or is it time to junk it?

You can usually find the owners manual online with a google search of the model number.  It will tell you how to do the program search.

However, most models that I am familiar with use the remote to access the search function.

You can usually find a universal remote at places like Walmart that will work for Emerson.  They cost around $5 to $10 each.  Sometimes they are available on eBay for even less.

Good Luck.  

TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting

Consumer Electronics of all kinds. Audio, esoteric audio systems and components, video, tv. Digital equipment for consumer use. Ham radio and automotive electronics. Note: I give advice on tv repair based on general consumer electronics engineering experience but I am not engaged in actual repair of sets. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE THE MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER AND AGE OF THE SET. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR EMAIL FOR THE RETURN ANSWER DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS AS I TRY TO REPLY TO ALL QUESTIONS WITHIN THE SAME DAY IF NOT THE SAME HOUR.

Electrical Engineering; recording, broadcasting, design, international standards, tv and radio theory and practice.

FELLOW of AES (Audio Engineering Society)
Senior Life Member of IEEE (Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers)
International Consulting Organization

IEEE Spectrum
Various Consumer Electronic publications

Famous Engineer for Digital Audio