TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting/Emerson VHS/DVD Combo won't load tape

We have tried a few VHS tapes and they won't load. Looks like the tape deck won't drop but part of the way down and then it ejects the tape. Please help.

The transport mechanisms on these machines are very tricky and difficult to troubleshoot.  Someone who has hands-on experience can sometimes find the defective or bent part and get them working again. Often times its dirt or tape grime that gets in one of the moving bearing points.  But to fix it you'd have to remove the covers and get inside.

Listen, these machines are very hard to find new but most thrift stores still have good used ones for $5 to $10 .  You might just replace the one you have.  That's what I'd do.  Even if you have to buy a vhs machine and a dvd player separate your investment will be less that a repair bill.

Good Luck.  

TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting

Consumer Electronics of all kinds. Audio, esoteric audio systems and components, video, tv. Digital equipment for consumer use. Ham radio and automotive electronics. Note: I give advice on tv repair based on general consumer electronics engineering experience but I am not engaged in actual repair of sets. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE THE MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER AND AGE OF THE SET. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR EMAIL FOR THE RETURN ANSWER DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS AS I TRY TO REPLY TO ALL QUESTIONS WITHIN THE SAME DAY IF NOT THE SAME HOUR.

Electrical Engineering; recording, broadcasting, design, international standards, tv and radio theory and practice.

FELLOW of AES (Audio Engineering Society)
Senior Life Member of IEEE (Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers)
International Consulting Organization

IEEE Spectrum
Various Consumer Electronic publications

Famous Engineer for Digital Audio