TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting/Portable CD player


I have a Ram truck with no CD player and would like to buy a small CD player and a 200 watt power inverter to keep from using batteries, my question is how do I know that I would be pulling 1 amp through the inverter or more. The CD player uses an AC power cord or 6 batteries.

Well, 200w of power is more than enough to power a portable cd player - at least those that are just simple handheld players or small boombox type with built in speakers.

No worry, the power inverter will supply only the current which the cd player draws. If you feel you need to know the power draw you could always attach an ammeter between the inverter and the cd player.

Let me make a suggestion: If your vehicle has a radio in it you could sign up for XM radio which has many channels of music available.  If you have a pandora account you could hook up your smartphone to the in-car radio or some such thing.

All I'm saying is there are many ways to get music into the vehicle.  

TV/VCR/Stereo Troubleshooting

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Consumer Electronics of all kinds. Audio, esoteric audio systems and components, video, tv. Digital equipment for consumer use. Ham radio and automotive electronics. Note: I give advice on tv repair based on general consumer electronics engineering experience but I am not engaged in actual repair of sets. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE THE MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER AND AGE OF THE SET. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR EMAIL FOR THE RETURN ANSWER DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS AS I TRY TO REPLY TO ALL QUESTIONS WITHIN THE SAME DAY IF NOT THE SAME HOUR.


Electrical Engineering; recording, broadcasting, design, international standards, tv and radio theory and practice.

FELLOW of AES (Audio Engineering Society)
Senior Life Member of IEEE (Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers)
International Consulting Organization

IEEE Spectrum
Various Consumer Electronic publications


Awards and Honors
Famous Engineer for Digital Audio

©2017 All rights reserved.