Taiwan/East Coast self-drive itinerary

Question
Would appreciate advice on 5D East Coast self-drive itinerary (have already been to Taroko & will not go all the way down to Taitung). To explore Highway 9 & 11, is it necessary to base couple of nights each on each highway? Where would be good base(s) please? Any specific recommendations or travel advice? How long (hrs) is the drive from Tauyuan airport to Hualien city? Thks.

Answer
I'm not sure how long the drive is (I don't have a car) but it's a lot shorter than it used to be because they built a highway/tunnel through the mountain from Taipei to Ilan (about and hour).  Unfortunately I don't really know much about driving, because I don't have a car but on the north/west coast I do know that JiaoXi quite nice (hot springs town) and a little further south there are the cold springs, you should check that out as it's pretty special I only know of three locations in the world, the one in Taiwan, one in Greece and one in the Philippines. http://eng.taiwan.net.tw/pda/m1.aspx?sNo=0002106&id=1790

Good luck :)

Taiwan

Magda Vince