Tattoos/swollen tattoo area

My boyfriend got a tattoo last thursday, 5 hours of solid awesomeness on his right lower leg. however, it is now tuesday night and his entire leg including his ankle and foot are hugely swollen, bright red and he claims a little itchy. he hasn't been able to stay off his feet because of work, but he has been icing it/elevating at night and putting bactine on it. some of the areas still look very raw and weepy, but he said it is not pussy and that he has not been picking at the scabbing. he doesn't think anything is out of the ordinary but i want another opinion. thanks very much!

The leg is one of the areas that can ( and quite often does)swell and show signs of irritation, as the pants leg rubs against the tattooed area.
Itching is a normal part of the tattoo, but I also suspect that he might be having a minor histamine reaction. This is not at all uncommon, but merely a nuisance.
Have him take Claritin or a like antihistamine and see if that cures the problem.
If so, then it is as I suspect.

Charles Parent - Registered Master Tattoo Artist

I can answer questions regarding tattoos and tattoo artists as well as Canadian tattoo shops.

Over 30 years as a top rate tattoo artist and tattoo shop owner. ATI registered Master Tattoo Artist / Body Art Technician. Founding member BC Body Art Association.

To The Point Tattoo Canadian Arts Council Tattoo Association of BC

Tattoo Flash magazine, Tattoo World magazine

M.Sc. degree in health sciences and M.A. in fine arts.

3 magazine features in Tattoo Flash.

G. Simmons, P. Stanley, Ryan Grice-Mullin (NFL), Roo Phelps (JRFM),