Hummingbird tattoo
Hummingbird tattoo  
I received a tattoo on my shoulder, just above my shoulder blade, 5 weeks ago. My tattoo is not infected, however it is still showing sign of redness around the edges. The redness is in fact fading, but it seems to be taking forever. I have 3 other tats and they did not react this way.

Is the red you are talking about the red splotches between the head and wing and under and between the wings? That actually looks like it is tattoo pigment to me. Might it be red shading around the bird to compliment the red heart? If you haven't already, talk to your tattoo artist as s/he is on the scene and can see what is happening in person and confirm it isn't tattooed.

It isn't uncommon for there to be reactions to aftercare, even if you've used it before. The first thing is to stop all aftercare products. Still, 5 weeks is a bit long and if it isn't sore or itchy, I'm frankly not sure what is going on if it isn't ink.

If it doesn't go away in a 2-3 days or gets worse, or you have any other symptoms (itchy, soreness, etc) you might want to check in with your medical adviser. As ever, don't substitute online advice for your own judgement and if you are concerned, if it doesn't get better or gets worse or spreads, contact your health care professional.

It is may be that just leaving it alone will take care of the issue, but, again, I'd talk to the tattoo artist first.

Good Luck and let me know what your artist says,

Sasha Merritt, CPCP

Sasha Merritt - Professional Tattoo and Cosmetic Artist

Tattoo, Permanent cosmetics, Needling, Areola Repigmentation, Tattooing over Scars

I've been tattooing professionally for 10 years in shops in the US and England. I now own Dragonfly Ink in San Francisco, CA

Society of Permanent Cosmetic Professionals

Apprenticed at Black and Blue Tattoo Specialized training and certifications: Cross-contamination Prevention SofTaps Micropigmentation Areola Repigmentation Skin Needling University Art Courses