Tattoos/apprenticeships

Question
Hi. My names chico im 23 ive been drawing and perfecting my artwork for about 10 years. Ive gotten alot better from when i first started, ive been looking into an apprenticeship that doesnt want alot of money from me personally...i have all the equipment needed to tattoo. I dont have alot of money, and so ive never bought fake skin to practice on..instead ive givin myself over 40 tattoos fRom a half right arm sleeve to a chest piece and two legs tats...so i can see the difference in my work from the first to the last...i see my potential, but i still need guidence...if u could help m that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

Answer
Chico,

This is not a learn on your own profession. You MUST try to find an apprenticeship with a qualified tattoo artist in a licensed studio. It is not as simple as buying a starter kit, picking up a machine or needle and starting to tattoo. There is a lot to know from sterilization to placement, needle depths, anatomy, client handling, business practices,needle making, and more. Not to mention the legal aspects of licensing, insurance, etc. Working with skin is a whole lot different than drawing on paper or whatever you can imagine. I have seen a lot of people who can draw or poke holes in their body, but tattoo and pierce very poorly. Four extra words of advice here;

First, you can not learn how to tattoo or pierce from a book. Secondly, you can not learn how to tattoo or pierce by watching someone else. Thirdly, tattooing and piercing is not a get rich quick profession, it takes years to get established and see the rewards of your work. And last but certainly not least, You can not practice on your friends or children or yourself to learn.... Soon you will have no friends.

So please (as I've already advised) if you are serious about learning, get an apprenticeship. You will be glad you did. One last thing,if during or after your apprenticeship you find that you do not have a knack for tattooing (tattooing takes a certain touch, some can do it, some not. Not everyone has that touch no matter how much training they've had), then you should give it up and not scar people for life.

If you would like an idea on what is involved with tattooing and piercing or have problems finding an apprenticeship please visit my FAQ page http://www.ubtat2d.com/faq.html

Hope I've been some help to you. If I can be of further assistance please let me know.

-The GYPSY
http://ubtat2d.com
http://sekpress.com  

Tattoos

The GYPSY - Certified Master Tattoo Artist, Body Piercer and Permanant Cosmetic Technician