Tattoos/Bruised 6 months after a tattoo

I got a full arm band about 6 months ago and I am still bruised on the under arm part.  What would cause that?  The tattoo itself is probably 2 inches thick all the way around my arm, but I am only bruised on the under part.  The bruising stretches from about 3 inches below and 1/2 inch above the tattoo it has seemed to shrink a little over the last week or two finally.

Bruising under the arm is pretty common, it is a pretty sensitive area. Still, after six months, I'd have expected it to have gone away, unless there is situation where the skin is has problems with bruising.

Sometimes with solid black tattoos, the pigment particles are so tiny that they can migrate under the skin a bit, particularly in areas like under the arm or lower leg. But 3 inches is a bit excessive, so I'm not sure it is this either.

It is best to talk to your tattoo artist in person as s/he is on the spot and can see what is happening better than I and can answer your questions more accurately.

Good Luck,

Sasha Merritt

Sasha Merritt - Professional Tattoo and Cosmetic Artist

Tattoo, Permanent cosmetics, Needling, Areola Repigmentation, Tattooing over Scars

I've been tattooing professionally for 10 years in shops in the US and England. I now own Dragonfly Ink in San Francisco, CA

Society of Permanent Cosmetic Professionals

Apprenticed at Black and Blue Tattoo Specialized training and certifications: Cross-contamination Prevention SofTaps Micropigmentation Areola Repigmentation Skin Needling University Art Courses