Tattoos/RASH AROUND TATTOO HELP!!!!

Question
I got a tattoo about last Tues and I was using A&D ointment on it and on Fri (3-4 days after) I forgot to take my ointment with me and I was busy the while day so when I got to my friends that evening the tattoo was really dry so I put gold bond lotion on it and about two hrs later I got a shower when I got out of the shower and when I got out of the shower I noticed a couple of bumps around them and I continued to use the A&D and the next couple of days I got more bumps they are like little pimples but they don't itch however the bigger ones do hurt when I pick at them in hoping I just had a reaction to the ointment but could you please ease my mind

Answer
Carolyn-

It isn't uncommon for there to be reactions to aftercare, even if you've used it before. The first thing is to stop all aftercare products. Sometimes the skin is just over stimulated by after products and a&d is made of almost all petroleum jelly, so the body cannot absorb it so often pores get clogged and pimply bumps are a result. This could help the skin to dry up and settle down and may solve the issue.

It is always a good idea to talk to your tattoo artist as s/he is on the scene and can see what is happening in person.

If the rash doesn't go away in a 2-4 days or gets worse, you might want to check in with your medical adviser, as I cannot diagnose an skin rash.  Of course, don't substitute online advice for your own judgement and if you are concerned, if it doesn't get better or gets worse or spreads, contact your health care professional.

It is may be that just leaving it alone will take care of the issue. And again, check in with your artist for on the spot advice.

Good Luck,
Sasha

Sasha Merritt, CPCP
www.dragonflyink.com

Tattoos

Sasha Merritt - Professional Tattoo and Cosmetic Artist