Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/1099's

consignmentstoreowner wrote at 2013-01-10 22:07:39
I confirmed this answer today with the IRS.  I just got off the phone and was told that is considered a merchandise sale not a service so there is no 1099 MISC required, even if the amount is over $600.  You are essentially purchasing the items from the consigner but you are not paying for them until they sell. The agent I spoke to was named Kerns ID#2856258.  I reached her at 866-455-7438.

Note:  I did call this number and got a different answer from another agent about a week earlier, but I am convinced by the IRS instructions and what the current agent told me that you do not have to issue a 1099 MISC.  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

Chea Romine, CPA