Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Claiming Foreign Tuition


TWF wrote at 2014-02-27 00:25:23
The answer from I.J.Zemelman might trigger an audit, because not providing a 1098-T is one of the tax return errors listed on the IRS' site.  

If your foreign education institution is an eligible institution (able to receive U.S. financial aid loans), then it is required to give you a 1098-T.  If the institution is not eligible, then it will not give you a 1098-T and you are not eligible for related education credits.

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


IJ Zemelman, EA MBA


I am an IRS-authorized EA and principal of a Tax Preparation firm focusing on U.S. Expatriates. We specialize in all tax issues faced by American citizens living abroad - such as foreign earned income, tax treaties, foreign spouse, etc. Visit our website - - for more information.


18 years professional tax experience, 12 with expatriate taxes.

Expatriate tax information on

MBA from Zicklin School Of Business, IRS Enrolled Agent

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]