Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/accidental over-contribution to SEP IRA

Question
For the first 9 mos of this year (2012), I was self-employed.  I contributed the max $50k to my SEP IRA (which was perfectly in line with IRS rules given the amt of consulting fees collected in first 9 mos).

However, I took a full-time job recently and now want to contribute to the company's 401k plan and receive the company match. But I don't think I am allowed to contribute any $$ given that I've already maxed out on my SEP IRA, correct?

Should I call my broker and tell them I accidentally put too much in my SEP IRA and withdraw roughly the same amt that I plan to put into my new company's 401k plan? If so, should I consider both my contributions AND my employer's contributions when calculating this amt?

Do employer matches count towards the total annual max that can be contributed to IRAs & 401ks?

Answer
Trey,

Thanks for your question.

Call your broker and tell them why you wish to make the withdrawal.  You may or may not be able to do so.  If you can, you should withdraw an amount of prior contributions equal to the amount  you wish to invest in the 401(k).  Employer contributions do not count here.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA