Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Per diem

Question
I am an independent insurance adjuster working in Texas for an adjusting firm.  I live in North Carolina in August 2012 I was offered an opportunity to come to Ft Worth, TX and work as a desk examiner for an insurance company here. This position is a temporary day to day assignment (we literally can be let go any day and some have been). We do sign a contract but it specifically indicates that we are working on a day to day basis and we are paid per day. A portion of our daily rate of pay is given to us as per diem (the amount of per diem is the IRS rate for Texas). I am paid with a 1099.  I understand that the per diem may not be subject to being taxed.  With that being the case can I still make deductions for lodging and food since this is to be paid with the per diem?  
I will have extensive lodging and food expenses. So would it be more beneficial for me to not report the per diem or report all the 1099 and the per diem amounts as income on the schedule C of my tax return and then deduct the expenses.

Answer
Michelle,

If the assignment is for more than 12 months or is of an undetermined duration, the per diem amounts are fully taxable.  In this case, the expenses would be deductible.

If the interpretation is that the assignment is for a fixed period of less than 12 months, the per diem is not taxable.  Any expenses incurred in excess of the per diem amounts are deductible.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA