Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Donations to Non Profit

Question
Hi Mr Stancil,

Can you please tell me if it's legal for a non profit church to take a prospective Eagle Scouts donations for the cost of him to build the church a bike rack? The project is part of his requirements to become an Eagle Scout. He would send out his own donation letters asking for checks to be made out to the church and then the church would pay for the expenses.
Thank you,
Becki

Answer
Becki,

Thanks for your question.

That is a grey area. The church can accept the donations on his behalf.  However, it is a very grey area if the donors could get a charitable contribution deduction for the donation, since it is a contribution for a very specific purpose.  I would rule that it is not deductible.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA