Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/estate taxes on stock sales

My father passe earlier this year.  He had a number of shares of stock, about $50,000.00.  The family is looking at how to disperse the stock.  Is there an estate tax tax on stock or is it treated as normal capital gains?

a. sorry for your loss

b. for the most part, you inherit the stock at the fmv at his death - which means you can just divvy it up with no gain or loss realized by the family or the estate (assuming that there was not much else going on in his estate, this holds true).

c. how much other stuff was in the estate?

d. does the will provide for direct beneficiaries?  via trust? wife ?

e. when you say 'family' -- who is involved?  

f. what else needs to be settled?

g. have you completed probate?  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

Tax and general business including hospitality related (hotel mgmt degree and experience in industry prior to obtaining ms tax and cpa).

19 years cpa. ms tax. NOTE: My discussions are only a general information and do not constitute tax advise without entering into a specific agreement and executing an engagement letter; This free chat is nothing more than general information and should not be construed as tax advice nor does my response or replies imply an agreement to provide client specific advice or other guidance for purposes of avoiding IRS tax or penalties and should not be relied upon without your own validation and confirmation of the how the discussion may fit your facts... Not having all the facts and/or not having a direct client relationship prevents me from providing the most accurate replies as possible and I highly suggest using a local CPA to provide you with written advice and guidance. Taking matters into your own hands is much akin to trying to land an airplane without a license. It is easy to FLY a plane, but LANDING is when critical experience is key. In short, caveat emptor; do your homework and don't just rely on free chat board advice anywhere, anytime.

AICPA, CSCPA (Ct society), National Tax,

a bunch.

MS tax and other post graduate coursework

variety including Summa Cum Laude

I don't disclose or kiss and tell