Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Form 4361 tax exemption

Question
I am a church treasurer and am facing the job of trying to bring our church records up to date.  I recently discovered that 2 of our ministers claim to be exempt from social security.  I explained that they would have to provide a copy of their "Approved" form 4361.  Right away I received one form from the senior minister however, it has taken some time to receive the other since our youth minister claims he lost his.  He told me he had sent a request to the IRS for a copy.  Just this past week he delivered a very sloppy copy to me.  At first glance I noticed it had been stamped "LATE REPLY" and it appears something was below the LATE REPLY possibily whited out.  It also has approved checked in the box for approval.  The disapproved box is not visible either on the form as if it was whited out.  I have concerns that the form has been altered.  Can a church official contact the IRS by telephone to verify if a minister is approved for exemption?

Answer
Keith,

Thanks for your question.

Unfortunately, the IRS or SSA will not disclose that information to you due to taxpayer privacy concerns.  My suggestion would be for him to request a copy of the 4361 to be sent to you.

This probably isn't much help, but it's all I can give, given the privacy laws that are in effect.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA