Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Form 8332


My ex-wife and I divorced in August 2008. It is in our divorce papers that I get to claim out daughter for tax purposes. The following year (2009) she signed Form 8332 Part I releasing her claim for the current year of 2008 and also signed Part II releasing her claim for "All Future Years". Our daughter turned 18 in 2010, but was still in "secondary" school until June 2011, which I still paid my support payments as required through the end of June, 2011. I claimed her on my 2011 tax returns for what I felt was the last year I could do so. Her mother has never revoked the release of claim to my knowledge as I have never received notice from her of this. I just received a letter from the IRS informing me that someone else had also claimed my daughter on their 2011 tax return and they wanted me to make sure that I could claim my daughter as a dependent and to file an amended tax return if not. I contacted my ex-wife and she told me that she had claimed her also.
One.....why did I receive this letter? I have always sent a copy of Form 8332 that she signed in 2009.
Two....what should I do?....try and contact the IRS about this? and...
Three...should I be worried?


your (ex) wife is a weasel and she surely knew better.


did you include the 8332 with the filing of your 2011 return?


does the div decree also give you right to continue to take her as a deduction as long as you support her?


where did daughter spend the greater number of nights (your house or ex wife) ?  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Tax and general business including hospitality related (hotel mgmt degree and experience in industry prior to obtaining ms tax and cpa).


19 years cpa. ms tax. NOTE: My discussions are only a general information and do not constitute tax advise without entering into a specific agreement and executing an engagement letter; This free chat is nothing more than general information and should not be construed as tax advice nor does my response or replies imply an agreement to provide client specific advice or other guidance for purposes of avoiding IRS tax or penalties and should not be relied upon without your own validation and confirmation of the how the discussion may fit your facts... Not having all the facts and/or not having a direct client relationship prevents me from providing the most accurate replies as possible and I highly suggest using a local CPA to provide you with written advice and guidance. Taking matters into your own hands is much akin to trying to land an airplane without a license. It is easy to FLY a plane, but LANDING is when critical experience is key. In short, caveat emptor; do your homework and don't just rely on free chat board advice anywhere, anytime.

AICPA, CSCPA (Ct society), National Tax,

a bunch.

MS tax and other post graduate coursework

Awards and Honors
variety including Summa Cum Laude

Past/Present Clients
I don't disclose or kiss and tell

©2017 All rights reserved.