Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/IRA and 529 Withdrawal

Question
Hello Mike!

Back in July I lost my job and I withdrew some funds from a 529 savings account I had for my daughter to pay some bills.  When I lost my job I transferred my 401k to my traditional IRA.  I am just now starting a new job job and racked up some credit card debt to pay bills.  Here's my questions:

1)  Can I be panlized for drawing funds from the 529 account?  Since that wasn't pre-tax money, I don't see why I would be penalized.

2)  Is there a way to draw funds from my IRA to pay off my credit card debt incurred while I was unemployed without incurring the 10% penalty?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Answer
Chris,

Mike couldn't take your question, but I can give you an answer.

The entire amount of the withdrawal from the 529 plan is subject to a 10% penalty, as it was not used for a qualified purpose.  In addition, any of the withdrawal represented by earnings on the amount in the plan is subject to income tax.

If you withdraw from your IRA to pay off credit card bills, you will be subject to income tax and a 10% penalty on the amount of the withdrawal.  If you are 59 years of age or more, you are not subject to the penalty.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA