Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/should church report Scholarship on 1099

Question
Hi John,

Our church is supporting a Seminary student who is also serving at our church as intern. We have different supporting resources this year and would like to know how to report scholarship for the tax purpose in each case.

case 1. Last school year, we paid for intern's service each month. We withheld part of the stipend to pay his tuition directly to the seminary.

In this case, does church need to report the part we paid for his tuition as his income?  If so, should it be on MISC 1099 together with the other compensation?

case 2. The intern finished one degree, and now pursuit another degree at seminary this school year.  This time, church offered him scholarship from church's scholarship fund. The scholarship rewarded is not conditioned by his serving as intern.  That is, regardless he is serving at our church of now, we will offer him scholarship as long as he is studying at the seminar for the degree.  At same time, since he is serving as intern, we do pay him some stipend.

In this case, does church need to report the scholarship? If so, should it be on MISC 1099 together with the other compensation, or on a different box?

Thank you.

Answer
Willa,

Thanks for your question.

No, the church does not need to report the tuition payments or the scholarship. However, to assure that the funds are applied toward his seminary expenses, you should send the scholarship directly to the seminary, in his name - as you have been doing with the tuition payments.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA