Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Deductions for food and Lodging

Question
I'm considering taking a W-2 contract job in another state for 6 months and the employer does not reimburse for expenses. Can I deduct food and lodging?

Answer
Dwight,

The simple answer is yes, but it may not be as much of a benefit if you do not already itemize your deductions.  They are not treated like business deduction rather unreimbursed employee expenses.  The deduction for these cost will be limited to the amount that exceeds 7.5% of your AGI.  If your AGI is $50,000, for example, then the amount of expense over $3750 would be deductible and would add in with your other itemized expenses like mortgage interest, charitable gift, etc.  If you do not have those items then would have to exceed the standard deduction for your filing status to be of any real benefit.  Do not take the job just because the expenses may be deductible.  Take the job because the income less the expense are still a better opportunity than what you can find where you currently live.

I hope that helps.

Best Regards,

Ryan Hasselmeier
Tax Advisor

AdvisorsGroupUSA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

Ryan Hasselmeier