Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Incorporating at the end of 2012

Question

I have been operating a sole proprietorship for a few years now and had a very profitable year this in 2012 so far. I was wondering if I incorporated this year (in December 2012) would profits already made would be shielded from the self-employment tax. Say I've already made $40,000 in 2012 before December 1, and I incorporate on December 1. Is all of that $40,000 subject to the self-employment tax or is there a way to retroactively use it as profit for the corporation formed December 1st.

Thanks for your help,

Mike

Answer
There is not a legal way, that I am aware of, to make it retroactive.  If things look like they are going to continue to look good you may want to consider setting up an S Corp for the start of 2013 and getting yourself on payroll via the S Corp.  Good luck!

CPA Wilmington NC

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

Adam Shay, CPA