Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/IRS distribution from estate

Question
My relative died at age 68 with IRA with no named beneficiary. IRA Company said the estate was the "default" beneficiary and the probate estate is now holding the account as an IRA under "five year rule" as explained to me. We are ready for distribution but executor is not sure if heirs can succeed to the balance of the five year period and hold the funds as IRA themselves or if the funds must lose their IRA status on distribution to heirs. We would prefer to keep the IRA status if possible.

Answer
Worst possible outcome

Still is Ira and you receive as ird (income in respect to decedent).

Fully taxable to recipients.   No 5 year rule applies

No way to take out on beneficiary lives

Probate does not need to hold.  Can pay out immediate.  

All bene receive and pay tax now

Who is executor?  What else in estate

How long open?  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

MEdusa