Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Lawsuit Settlement

Question
I have a couple of questions:

1. Would there be any tax consequence to a lessee if they received free-rent for three years as part of a lease cancellation settlement?

2. If additional cash from the settlement was ordered to be paid directly to a family member (rather than the individual), would this be considered a gift?

Thanks!

Answer
You should be morbidly ashamed to consider asking questions here if you have any hope of being a successful tax consultant!

I am disappointed to say the least!!!!

Yes

No (it would atill be income to the original recipient). You can't assign income.  Tax law 101 (nice try).

Your questions belie more deeply seated/underlying probls

Don't try to fly this plane without a license.    Flying is easy.   It is landing that is the important part  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

MEdusa