You are here:

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Merchant marine taxes, living in Canada, work in U.S


I am a U.S Citizen, and I am marrying a Canadian citizen. As of now we have one child together. I am a licensed merchant marine officer, and work for a U.S company in the Gulf of Mexico. We plan on moving to Canada within a year and she is going to sponsor me for either Permanent Resident, or Citizenship. I have question on what I would be paying in taxes and to who? I work 185 Days of the year on a ship. Thank you for your time, and happy Thanksgiving!

More than can be or should be answered on a free chat board

Until married you file separate but usa 1040

When married.  You still file usa citizen

If you give up? Usa citizen to become Canadian???   Beyond my expertise and the scope here

As long as you are a citizen.  You must file a 1040

If she is not a usa resident.  You. An exclude her.  But this is a complicated mess that shod be clearly identified and ironed out long before you marry and or relocate  

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Tax and general business including hospitality related (hotel mgmt degree and experience in industry prior to obtaining ms tax and cpa).


19 years cpa. ms tax. NOTE: My discussions are only a general information and do not constitute tax advise without entering into a specific agreement and executing an engagement letter; This free chat is nothing more than general information and should not be construed as tax advice nor does my response or replies imply an agreement to provide client specific advice or other guidance for purposes of avoiding IRS tax or penalties and should not be relied upon without your own validation and confirmation of the how the discussion may fit your facts... Not having all the facts and/or not having a direct client relationship prevents me from providing the most accurate replies as possible and I highly suggest using a local CPA to provide you with written advice and guidance. Taking matters into your own hands is much akin to trying to land an airplane without a license. It is easy to FLY a plane, but LANDING is when critical experience is key. In short, caveat emptor; do your homework and don't just rely on free chat board advice anywhere, anytime.

AICPA, CSCPA (Ct society), National Tax,

a bunch.

MS tax and other post graduate coursework

Awards and Honors
variety including Summa Cum Laude

Past/Present Clients
I don't disclose or kiss and tell

©2017 All rights reserved.