Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)/Questions on leasing a company car

Question
QUESTION: 1. If an S-Corp leases a car and uses it for business 100% of the time, can it write off 100% of the monthly lease payments?

2. Can it write off the leased car's down payment?

3. Can it write off the cost of the car's insurance and gas?

ANSWER: Mike,

Thanks for your question.

No, leased vehicles are subject to the same limitations as an owned vehicle, only a little more complicated.  Basically, the amount of lease payments and down payments is limited.

Lease payments for vehicles used for business or investment purposes are deductible in proportion to the vehicle's business use. However, lessees must include a certain amount in income during the year the vehicle is leased to partially offset the amounts by which lease payments exceed the luxury auto limits. Rev. Proc. 2012-23 includes tables that identify the income exclusion amounts for passenger automobiles, trucks and vans with lease terms beginning in calendar year 2012.

Insurance and gas would be deductible in addition to the allowable portion of the lease payments.

Hope this helps.

John Stancil, CPA

QUESTION: Just for clarification, does that mean if you factor in the income inclusion amounts, the remaining monthly lease payments can be 100% deducted as business expenses (written-off)?

And is it true the down payment on a leased car can be written off via straight-line method over the length of the lease?  For instance, a $6,000 down payment on a 3-year lease can be written off $2,000 each year (for 3-years)?

Answer
That is correct on the first question.

The down payment is spread over the term of the lease, but is subject to the luxury car limitations and is included as a lease payment in determining the inclusion amount.

Bottom line, unless the vehicle is over 6,000 pounds you can't get around the luxury car limitations that you are trying to avoid.

John Stancil, CPA

Tax Law (Questions About Taxes)

John Stancil, CPA